Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Reading Binge

On the right hand side of my blog I have a column dedicated to the books I have read in 2010. I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised to see how much I have read/listened to this year.

 The amount that I read ebbs and flows with the different stages of my life. When I was in elementary school, if I helped my Mom with the chores, she would take me to the grocery story (yes, back then there were not any Barnes&Nobles or Borders) and I would pick up the latest release of the Baby Sitters Club series. I then would take said book home, huddle up in a corner, and read that book until it was completely finished because I coudln't go another day without knowing what happened to Kristy and the gang.

Then as I became a teenager, reading fell to the wayside, and wasn't until I was fifteen or sixteen and a good friend's mother suggested that I read Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks. I couldn't put it down and oh how I cried. Mr. Sparks has a way of bringing out my emotional side (which I admit isn't really that hard to do). But he did rekindle my love for reading again.

And then college came and I didn't have time to read. I even stopped writing in my journal. I even forgot that I ever wanted to be a writer. Yes, college was a confusing time. But you know who set everything right around senior year of college. A 12 year old boy with round, black glasses and a wand with a phoenix feather core. Through graduate school the only fiction I managed to read was Harry Potter.

Then after graduate school I fell into the pits of what many call real life. But then a certain sparkly vampire and accident prone girl sucked me into the world of books, and I haven't stopped reading since.

And here we are in 2010 and I have read so many great books! I feel like I am back in my elementary school days, reading voraciously, book after book. What books have you read and adored this year?

2 comments:

  1. I was so into Babysitters club too!
    What number did the series end up going to? Remember the special digests - when they went on trips like to visit Dawn's family in California?!?!!? Wow, good reading...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    Shortstorybook.net is organizing a short story writing contest.

    We do think that you too might have a marvelous story to tell, one that is your own! So if you can compose it in not more than few words, we would want to hear from you. Also, you stand a chance to get your story published on our site and win cash prize of USD 100.

    “Then what are you waiting for? …put on your thinking cap and get writing. For registration and other information check - http://bit.ly/short-story-contest-2010

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete