Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Time

Here is a simple revelation that is bringing me a lot of freedom:
There is enough time..... --Claire Cloninger

This morning I was in kind of a funk. Life handing me lemons and I'm not making lemonade- that kind of thing. When in reality, I know I should be happy that life is even giving me lemons, because hey, I'm alive. It's life.

While I was getting ready for work this morning, a tiny book caught my eye, Life's Little Blessings by Thomas Kinkade. The book was a present from Sarcastically Delicious (aka boyfriend) half a decade or so ago. Sarcastically Delicious knew that I admired Kinkade's art, and being in college he couldn't afford an actual painting, so he purchased a tiny book that features Kinkade's work, miniaturized, with superimposed thoughtful quotes.

Ms. Cloninger's quote resonated with me on so many different levels. As writers, we have to straddle between the fictional realms in our minds and real life. Sometimes it feels like real life takes over and there is never adequate time to write. Sometimes we're too hard on ourselves, imposing self-made deadlines and word quotas. Isn't it always about time? Time is money. Time is intangible. Time is infinite, yet can seems finite. Time. Time. Time.

When I was in high school and college I was a watch junkie, verging on OCD in the number of times I would look at my wrist to check what time it was. My life wasn't that complicated back then. School, skating, and work. Pretty straight forward. Then one day when I broke my watch as a result of an ice skating fall, and I practically freaked out,  I realized I was way too high strung about time. 

Solution: stop wearing a watch. 

To this day I don't wear a watch. I just won't do it. I don't want to turn into that thing again. Although, I do admit that I will look at my cell phone a couple times a day to check the time. But, a couple times a day is normal, right?

Back to Ms. Cloninger....
I can't really put my finger on it, but Ms. Cloninger's quote gave me hope today. It made me realize that life didn't have to snowball and there really is time for all that I want to accomplish. I just have to be patient and...er...give it time.

1 comment:

  1. I've had that feeling before of life giving me lemons and me forgetting to make the lemonade. Who said lemons were not good? I have to remember not to believe that!

    ReplyDelete