Monday, August 23, 2010

Gossip Time.....The Summoning

It's been a while since I've done a gossip time. And I feel the need to gossip about Kelley Armstrong's The Summoning, Book 1 of the Darkest Powers series. Before I had even finished listening to this book on CD, I ran to the library to get book 2 The Awakening, horror that it not be there the very second I finished book 1. Luck was on my side, they had book 2.
 
The Summoning is the story of  fifteen year old Chloe Saunders who is sent to a group home for teens called the Lyle House because she is seeing ghosts.  The doctors at Lyle House tell Chloe she has schizophrenia. But rather than swallow this pill (literally and metaphorically because at one point Chloe stops taking their meds), Chloe and a few other kids at Lyle house band together. It turns out they're supernaturals.

As I listen to this story unfold, it strikes me over and over again how well thought out Armstrong's characters are. She could head up a school on character development. The plot is rich with many interwoven sub-plots and motivations. And if you don't have time to read it, the narrator of the audio version is excellent.

I'm near the end of The Awakening, so I need to cut this short so I can go pick up Book 3, The Reckoning.
While I'm out, check out Kelley Armstrong's amazing website.

2 comments:

  1. This looks interesting. I've seen it on the shelves and always pick it up.

    I'll have to buy it and add to my already overstacked shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my wish list for a while. I have a short attention span when I'm book shopping, but I need to remember to pick this up.

    ReplyDelete