Monday, April 11, 2011

Gossip Time...Matched

So, I know I'm a little late with jumping on the Matched band wagon, but I devoured this book. And the funny thing is I could totally relate to main character Cassia Reyes who grew up in a society where everything is controlled. Obviously, I don't live in a dystopian society where my choices are made for me and everything I do is predicted. But I did grow up as the daughter of immigrants who were raised in a very conservative and strict fashion and wanted their daughter to be the same. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents and they are totally cool. But when I was a teen I felt very suffocated by a lot of their conservative beliefs and fixations. You should have seen how they reacted the first time a boy called my house. Albeit, he was a gay boy, so he was really no threat, but still. My parents had an arranged marriage, just like the characters in Matched do, but instead of the government choosing their life partners, my grandparents chose for them. I've never really talked to my parents about what it was like when they were life partner shopping. I don't know, it's just something we've never talked about.

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about this book, but I also don't want to give away too many details. Ally has a really cool website that you should definitely check out and the sequel, Crossed, is due out November 2011. I don't know how I'm going to wait that long to see what happens next.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. My parents NEVER trusted me with boys. Even though I was very far from doing anything stupid (I was too scared =). As for Matched and Crossed...maybe I WILL wait until Crossed comes out before I buy them both. I can't wait to read them, though. And I'm glad you had things to say that make me even more determined to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand you wanting to wait until November to read both. I hate waiting. I'll probably reread Matched in the fall just so the story is fresh in my mind when I read Crossed.

    ReplyDelete