Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Who Says 12 Year Old Boys Don't Like Kissing

Some people like to break the ice with a joke. I prefer to start a blog post with a picture. Something that sets the tone for the day's subject matter. So what did I do? I googled kissing and clicked the images link. Bad idea, especially while at work. Let's just say I didn't find a cute cartoon girl and boy, holding hands, sharing an innocent smooch. But I did find this picture. Isn't it fab?

Now on to what this post is really about....

Some of you know that I'm an optometrist. Today I examined a twelve year old boy who loved to ask me random questions. I humored him with short simple answers. Near the end of the exam he asked me if I liked Greek mythology. I could have answered this with a simple yes or no. Instead I asked him if he had read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. This kid literally bounced in his chair from the sheer excitement of me uttering the words Percy Jackson. And you know what the next thing he said was?

It wasn't about the fighting.
It wasn't about Mount Olympus or the cool weapons.
It wasn't about the monsters.

"I can't believe Percy and Annabeth don't kiss until book 5!?!?"

Case closed. 

2 comments:

  1. Hah! Good for him.

    My brother is a very macho 13-year-old, but he likes Twilight. Doesn't parade that fact, of course, but he's totally into the movies.

    I think lots of people underestimate boys' sensitivities, which is a total no-no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that people totally under estimate boy's sensitivities. Sometimes they can be more sensitive than girls, but just don't show it. Thanks for dropping by Shayda.

    ReplyDelete