Thursday, October 27, 2011

Gossip Time...Divergent

Let me start by saying how much I love sleep. I like to get a decent amount and I like the sleep to occur at a particular part of the day--night. That being said, it shows how much I liked Divergent by Veronica Roth if it kept me up super past my bed time. The last book I stayed up uber late for was Deathly Hallows, and that was epic Harry Potter.

In this dystopian novel Roth creates a world where you have to choose a faction that best reflects the values you hold dear. Dauntless for bravery, Erudite for intellect, Candor for honesty, Abnegation for selflessness, or Amity for peace. It was hard enough to decide what to major in college. I couldn't imagine making a colossal decision that involves ultimately changing your environment, your family, your career, everything you stand for basically, as the main character Beatrice Prior had to do in this novel.

My favorite character is a teen boy named Four. You've got to read the book to find out where he got his unique name from. But other than the intrigue of Four, the book itself is fast paced, unique, and a definite page turner.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about how great this book is and I'm DYING to read it! Unfortunately I never end up finding time for reading. Writing usually comes first and I write ALL the time. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review. I started this when I was sick on a Saturday. I finished it in 24 hours. Very absorbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was the same me for me Theresa. I finished it in two sittings.

    ReplyDelete