Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Harry Potter!!

I've heard many people say on the web and on television that this movie marks the end of an era.

I started reading the Harry Potter books in the spring of 2001 and I've been hooked ever since. I remember how I breezed through books one through four and then counted the days until Order of the Phoenix came out. I remember I was in graduate school when the fifth book came out and I got some weird looks carrying around that thick tome wherever I went, reading it in between classes and sometimes during lectures. But, I didn't care. I had to know what was going on with Harry and the gang.

Since 2001 I've been to midnight book release events with friends, eagerly anticipated the movies release in theaters and then on DVD. It's been so much fun. It's bittersweet that the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 on July 15th kind of means there will be nothing to look forward to as far as the wizarding world is concerned except for my annual Harry Potter-audio-book-a-thon where I listen to books one through seven in the car.

2 comments:

  1. I think I started reading them around 2001 too. My husband and I read them aloud to each other. It was so much fun. We've also seen every movie (multilple times!) I'm going to miss Harry too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bittersweet indeed. Hard to believe it's the last movie. I want to reread the series again - it's such a beautiful world :)

    ReplyDelete