Friday, February 8, 2013

I Am So Inspired by Liz Arroyo

It would have been more appropriate had I posted this yesterday, but real life got in the way of my desired blogging schedule.

Elizabeth Arroyo's novel THE SECOND SIGN published by Sapphire Star Publishing debuted February 7, 2013 and I couldn't be happier for her.

Liz and I met way back on April 10, 2011 through Natalie Whipple's Critique Partner Classified. It started out with an email. She wanted me to look at her contemporary YA and I needed someone to give me big picture comments on plot, pacing, and character for a YA Fantasy.

After reading the first three chapters of Liz's contemporary novel, I wrote back: "Girl, you can write." From that point I knew I wanted Liz in my corner. She has been an awesome critique partner because she keeps it real. She doesn't just read my writing and pour compliments down my throat. She tells me what works and what doesn't. She knows how to combine the right amount of encouragement with criticism. And sometimes I don't like what she has to tell me, but if I let myself stew over it for a few weeks or months (LOL) I almost always come to the realization that she's right.

Liz is also such an inspiration to me. Not only is she a Mom of more than one child (she must have the patience of a saint), she works, and writes consistently every day. This woman is always cooking up stories. She doesn't give up. There are so many times when I want to burn my notebooks and wipe my hard drives, but watching Liz persevere not only with her writing, but by putting herself out there through queries and submissions, and social networking--it encourages me to keep going. The publishing world can be a lonely place with your only friend being a grumpy old man named Mr. Rejection. So it's nice when you can surround yourself with people like Liz who can help you kick that old man Rejection in the butt.

And over the years Liz has become a friend. I haven't been the most dedicated writer the past few months. But Liz cares about things other than my writing. She watches my skating videos and gives me advice to keep me sane as I plan my wedding to Sarcastically Delicious (aka fiance) in April.

Liz, I am so proud/happy/excited for you/inspired by what you have accomplished through the publication of THE SECOND SIGN. I can't wait to critique more of your writing, have you help me improve my own, and read all of your published works to come!


2 comments:

  1. And here I thought I was getting on your last nerve. lol. And you have perfect timing. I was going nuts yesterday. =) Thank you sooooo much.

    I'm so glad to have found you too! You're awesome. =) I need to go get a tissue now. =)

    ReplyDelete