Sunday, September 23, 2012

Adversity with Endings

I envy people who can plot an entire story before they start writing. The New Yorker recently wrote a piece about J.K. Rowling, and apparently Rowling can do just that. But, then again, she is J.K Rowling.
I get to know my characters pretty well. Their family trees, their hobbies, their fears. And I can think up beginning, middles, and conflicts pretty well. I just can't figure out how to resolve the mess I create for them.
And it's not just novel endings. It's the ending of log lines (speaking of log lines, Miss Snark's Baker's Dozen contest is coming up). It's also the ending of synopses. The end of ice skating programs.
And I think my problem lies in the fact that I have great respect for well thought out endings. The endings that culminate everything to a perfect point and leave no dangling threads. That's the kind of ending I want--an ending that is ingenious, unpredictable, and well executed.
What part of writing is difficult for you? Beginnings? Middles? Ends?

3 comments:

  1. You could shake things up by starting with the ending and see how that works for you. Think of a really great, emotional ending then work backwards. Figure out which character would have to have the biggest growth to get to that point and you know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent suggestion! I'll let you know how it works.

      Delete
  2. Hey Anita,

    You mentioned this to me once. But as you already know, there's no way around it :-) Maybe outlining will help?

    I don't have problems with endings, but with the fuzzy middle. I left my characters in a dire straits last week and I'm still stubbornly turning my blind eye to them (or my deaf ear, since they're screaming at me LOL). Procrastinating sometimes rules my life.
    Cheers!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete