Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Gossip Time...The Fault in Our Stars

Maybe this story supremely touched me because I have friends and family who have battled cancer. Maybe this story resonated with my soul because I have seen one too many people die young. Or maybe it's just because sixteen year old Hazel Grace Lancaster, the main character in John Green's THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, is unlike any person I've met on paper or in real life.

My first instinct when I heard this story was about a girl with terminal cancer, was to not read the book because I don't particularly like reading books or watching movies that are sad. Sure there are some sad moments in THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, but there are also some extremely happy and funny moments too. There is one scene where a blind boy is trying to egg his ex-girlfriend's car and I found myself crying because it just seemed like such a great injustice that this boy couldn't even have the gratification of getting back at his inconsiderate girlfriend, but I was also laughing simultaneously because it was so pathetic that it was funny.

A book has never made me cry and laugh at the same time, and for that I give THE FAULT IN OUR STARS two thumbs up, five stars, I dub it a book that will forever be one of my personal favorites.

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS is not just a novel about sick teenagers with cancer, it is a book about love of the most unique and genuine kind. It is a book about family and our place in the universe.

Needless to say, I highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment