Monday, August 24, 2009

G Free

I want to take a moment to express how much Elisabeth Hasselbeck's The G Free Diet has changed my life.
She explains gluten intolerance/allergies and Celiac like no physician ever has or even tried to. My entire life I've been plagued with hives, or what the doctors call idiopathic urticaria. Yeah, it's idiotic that its taken 19 years to figure out the cause- GLUTEN!!
And it was more than just the hives, and I won't go into the details, but let's say digestively I wasn't that sound.
I first suspected gluten as the culprit when I tried out the ZONE diet in spring of 2008. I lost weight and I felt great (no hives or tummy issues)! And the main thing I changed in my diet was removing breads and processed foods. I focused on consuming meats, veggies, and fruits.
Recently I started to stray from my good eating habits, indulging myself with Panera Chocolate Chipper Cookies, eating bread, granola, pizza. And then it all started again..the hives...the indigestion...and I was soooo tired all the time.
Ms. Hasselbeck explains it so well:
"Damaged villi prevent nutrients from being properly absorbed into the bloodstream...So no matter how much you are eating, your body isn't getting the vitamins and minerals it needs to thrive."
I know this blog is supposed to be about writing. But, this book has truly changed my life for the better and I feel its definitely worth mentioning. So if you're suffering from the following symptoms (list is from pg 16-17 in The G Free Diet) talk to your doctor, perhaps your gluten intolerant/allergic or have Celiac:
  • abdominal pain and discomfort
  • anemia and other deficiencies
  • constipation
  • diarrhea
  • discolored teeth
  • distension
  • excessive weight loss (with a large appetite) or weight gain
  • fatigue
  • gas
  • headaches
  • joint or bone pain
  • loss of dental enamel
  • missed menstrual periods
  • muscle cramps
  • reproductive problems (infertility, multiple miscarriages)
  • skin rashes, itchiness
  • smelly stool
  • sores inside mouth
  • stunted growth in children
  • tingling or numbness in legs
  • vitamin K deficiency
Thank you Elizabeth Hasselbeck!

No comments:

Post a Comment